Have you ever heard the saying, “you are what you eat”?
Well, that’s even truer today than it was when those words were first said.
That’s because the foods that many of us eat are filled with chemicals and other nasty stuff that can cause obesity, diabetes, cancer, and more. Healthy eating just wasn’t as easy as it used to be.
So what can you do to protect yourself?
The first step is to be aware. You need to understand that lots of foods sold by fast-food restaurants and other large food companies are designed for taste and preservation (preservation of the food, not you). They’re simply not created with your health in mind.
You’ll also want to follow steps to protect yourself from all the foods that can sap your energy and cause you to be sick, ill, or even worse.
Here are a few healthy eating tips and resources that can do wonders for your health, and your waistline.
Nutrition Tips (Hint…Keep It Simple!)
- Choose natural. If the food you’re about to eat is made in a science lab, and not grown on a farm, it’s probably not going to be good for you.
- Choose organic, when you can. Pesticides and other chemicals can cause loads of health problems. Choose organic whenever you can to ensure you’re getting food the way it was meant to be.
- Eat more plant-based foods. This means vegetables, fruits, nuts, lentils, and grains. We’re not saying you need to be a vegan to enjoy good health, but the vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients in plant-based foods are too good to pass up, so you’ll want to include lots of them in your meals each day.
- Avoid processed foods. If you read the ingredients of a food you’re about to eat and don’t understand what they are…put it down and choose a healthier, more natural alternative.
- Skip soda and sugar-sweetened beverages. Sugar-sweetened beverages, like soda, can do lots of damage to your health. They’ll add inches to your waistline and can cause lots of other health problems. Be careful with their diet alternatives, because sometimes those can be even worse than the real thing.
Want to dig deeper into any of these tips? We’ve compiled a list of stories below that can help guide you to healthy eating. Each of these is designed to give you easy-to-follow advice that you can start doing today.
Healthy Eating Resources
- 4 Reasons to Eat More Plant-Based Foods
- 37 Superfoods to Start Eating Today
- How to Make Healthy Food Choices
- 7 Healing Foods that Boost Metabolism
- 6 Reasons to Eat More Raw Food
- 12 Ways to Eat Right on a Budget
- Dangers of Diet Soda
- 5 Advantages of the Mediterranean Diet
- Benefits of Not Drinking Soda
- 12 Ways to Make Healthy Choices When Eating Out
- 15 Unhealthiest Foods on the Planet
- Top Reasons to Go Organic
- Why Size Matters…For Your Salad
- 6 Reasons to Shop at Your Local Farmer’s Market
Featured image by geishaboy500