Do you want to own the newest technology without going broke? Follow these tips to get the best tech gadgets on a budget.
5 steps to finding a great deal on the latest tech gear
1) Find the right product: Nearly all new tech products have competitors, so shop around to narrow down the best option for you. For example, if you are buying a tablet you have many options available such as an iPad or any number of Android-based tablets. Instead of an iPad for $600+ dollars, you could get a brand new Sanei or Ampe tablet for as low as $200.
2) Research the product: C-Net, Newegg, Amazon, and Google offer real-life feedback from customers who have purchased the product you want. You’ll learn where the product performs well, its capabilities, and any possible drawbacks you won’t find in the company’s marketing materials.
3) Choose the condition: Do you need to have a new product, or can you live with used or refurbished gear? Although buying used or refurbished will reduce the cost of the item, there will be anywhere from small to large signs of use with a used product; a refurbished product will look like new. When buying a refurbished product you’ll want to look for a manufacturer refurbished to ensure a high-quality item.
4) Decide how to buy: Look at listings on eBay or Amazon to buy a used or refurbished product. You either bid on a product (when using eBay) or “buy it now” (both eBay and Amazon). You can get better deals on items when bidding, but can also end up spending more money than you had originally planned. Bidding also requires more attention and you will often end up going through several sets of bids before you win an item.
“Buy it now” offers you a quick way to make a purchase and save some money, even if it is not the absolute lowest price you’d find. It will also allow you to compare prices and shop around between different sellers in order to get the best deal possible.
5) Research the Seller: When researching different sellers you’ll want to look at the overall feedback rating along with comments from previous buyers. Pay close attention to any negative feedback about the seller in general or specific to the product you want to buy. Lastly, you will want to look at the policies of the seller: return policy, shipping policy, and other important information. This will let you know in advance how the seller will be conducting business with you.
When searching for a deal on new tech gear, one of the most important things is to buy a product you really want. Don’t get suckered into a deal just because the cost is low and the value is high – if you’re not going to use the product, it doesn’t matter how little you paid for it, because the time and money you spent won’t be worth it.