You have been dating your girlfriend for a while now and she has asked you to meet her parents; you want to make a good first impression, but how?
Making a good impression the first time you meet your girlfriend’s parents can help solidify you as the man their daughter should be with. So how can you do it?
Making a good impression is important, but it does not have to be hard. Here are some ways to put your best foot forward:
1. Do your homework: Learn what you can about your girlfriend’s parents before meeting them. Knowing even just a little about where they work and hobbies they enjoy will help you hold a conversation they find interesting. More important than what they like to do is their political and religious beliefs; knowing these can help you avoid potential conversation landmines which could ruin their opinion of you.
2. Dress appropriately: As the saying goes, you never get a second chance to make a first impression. If you show up at her parent’s house in ripped jeans and a tank-top it will not leave them with the impression that you’re able to take care of their daughter. So get a shave, put on some clean clothes, and dress nicer than the occasion demands.
3. Arrive on time: Never keep your girlfriend’s parents waiting. It is disrespectful to arrive late and it will start the introduction on the wrong foot. An on-time arrival will display dependability and that you take your commitments seriously.
4. Have a solid handshake: It may be a cliché but you can still learn a lot from a handshake. It will be one of the first things which will leave an impression on the father and you want it to be a good one.
5. Keep up the conversation: Awkward pauses are your enemy. Awkward pauses can cause you to blurt out something offensive, or that doesn’t portray your confidence. This is where doing your homework is essential – when you are well prepared you will have plenty of things to discuss with her parents. When in doubt, ask them questions about their job or personal interests.
6. Be confident: Confidence projects to everyone, including her parents. If you are not confident that will come across clearly to her parents; if you are not confident in yourself then why should they be confident in you?
7. Treat your girlfriend like a princess: What the parents are looking for more than anything else is how you treat their daughter. Give her extra attention and consideration to show her parents that you treat her well. Avoid lavishing too much attention on her however as it may come off as fake.
8. Be ready for questions: Ask yourself what you would want to know about the man who was dating your future daughter; figure out your answers to these questions before meeting her parents. This can help you position any potential mishaps in your past in a positive light.
9. Watch your body language: What your body says can leave an even bigger impression than the words you speak. Crossed arms may seem standoffish and fidgeting may imply that you have something to hide. Try to keep your arms relaxed and at your sides. The direction of your look is important as well; avoiding eye contact can make you seem sneaky and untrustworthy.
You never get a second chance to make a first impression; make sure you’re ready to impress the first time you meet her parents.