Many people use CBD oil nowadays as an alternative to traditional pain and anxiety medications, which sometimes bring unwanted side effects. You’ve probably read or heard people talk about the health benefits of CBD oil and would like to know more about it.
What is cannabidiol or CBD oil, and how do you use this supplement as a way to potentially boost your health and wellness? Learn all about CBD oil by reading this guide below.
What Is CBD Oil?
CBD oil products are widely available in brick-and-mortar drug stores and online, such as Tommy Chong’s CBD. So what exactly is CBD oil?
Cannabidiol (CBD) oil refers to a potent food supplement extracted from hemp or cannabis plants. This is typically done through decarboxylation or carbon dioxide extraction. This cannabinoid compound reportedly provides health benefits, including pain relief, reducing nausea and vomiting, easing seizures, as well as managing stress and anxiety.
Types of CBD Oil
Various CBD oils come from different extraction methods, concentrations, and preparations depending on the manufacturer and intended use. Hemp plants contain CBD. To separate the plant and oil components, extraction must be done.
As mentioned, the acceptable extraction method is via carbon dioxide extraction because CO2 is naturally found in the body and the environment. It doesn’t use harmful substances, like butane, which is a type of alcohol, for extracting the compound.
The type of extraction would differentiate CBD oil products into isolate, full-spectrum, and broad-spectrum variations. Here are the details of these CBD oil types:
- Isolate: CBD isolate refers to pure cannabidiol or CBD oil devoid of other cannabinoids and other ingredients.
- Full Spectrum: This CBD oil contains CBD and other cannabinoids in small quantities, such as tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), flavonoids, and terpenes, which is responsible for the scent. The THC level of CBD oil is minimal, with less than 0.3%. This way, you don’t have to worry about getting psychoactive effects or a ‘high’ because this is unlikely to occur.
- Broad Spectrum: This CBD oil comes with CBD oil and other cannabinoids except for THC.
Different Ways to Take CBD Oil
Consumers can use CBD oil in various ways. Each method has its own onset and duration of effects. The common methods of consuming CBD oil include the following:
- Oral Ingestion: Ingesting CBD oil as is or in its oil form provides longer-lasting effects than other methods. However, it usually takes longer for the effects to kick in. This is because of the ‘first-pass effect,’ which refers to the need for CBD to travel in the digestive tract and liver to get metabolized and readily used by the body.
- Sublingual: This CBD consumption method involves applying one to two drops of CBD oil under the tongue. It’s a fast-acting method that yields almost immediate effects, which is perfect for managing stress and anxiety.
- Vaping: Vapor technology is involved in vaping or using vape pens or vaporizers to inhale CBD. This method is recommended for patients who cannot tolerate CBD oil ingestion or sublingual route.
- Topical: The skin can readily absorb CBD through topical solutions, such as CBD lotions, moisturizers, creams, balms, and salves. CBD oil can be applied to sore muscles and joints after exercise or intense physical activity.
- CBD-Infused Edibles: CBD brownies, gummies, and other edibles are infused in CBD, perfect for those who want to enjoy the product with their favorite meals, desserts, or beverages.
Tips When Buying and Using CBD Oil
Take a look at the following recommended tips when buying and using CBD oil:
- Consult Your Doctor: While CBD oil is generally safe to use, like other food supplements, it’s always advisable to consult your doctor before using CBD oil to ensure your health is monitored properly.
- Read Listing: Make sure to always read the product listing to know the ingredients used and the type of CBD you’re buying.
- FDA Compliance: Be wary about CBD manufacturers or sellers making therapeutic claims about CBD use. CBD oil is still considered a food supplement and not a type of medication. FDA-approved CBD-containing medications are different from the CBD oil products sold in the market without requiring a prescription.
- Follow Manufacturer’s Instructions: CBD oil strength can vary greatly, with the strongest CBD oils in the world containing up to 9000mg per bottle. So make sure to always read the label on the CBD bottle or packaging to know the ingredients used and the right dosage for you. Also, it will guide you on how to use and store the CBD product to preserve its shelf life.
You’ve learned the basic information about CBD oil, which comes in different types and formulations. This food supplement can be taken orally, sublingually, through vaping, topically, or through CBD-infused edibles. When buying CBD oil, make sure to read the listing and the instructions on how to use and store the product to keep its potency and avoid deterioration.