Too much partying? Suffering from a hangover? Here are some helpful tips to get you back on your feet after a night of drinking.
1. Let’s start off with an easy one. Make yourself some eggs. Eggs contain the amino acid cysteine. Cysteine is responsible for the break down of acetaldehyde, the toxin causing this terrible hangover.
2. Have some greasy breakfast foods. Greasy food stick to the stomach wall and help slow down the process of alcohol absorption. That’s right. A hangover is the perfect excuse to get in the car and drive to the nearest Denny’s or IHOP.
3. If you are like me and like to sleep in after a night of drinking, maybe breakfast isn’t the thing for you. So skip it and head straight for lunch. Have some miso soup. Miso soup helps to replace the water, sodium and other nutrients we lose when drinking alcohol. Miso soup also contains healthy bacteria that aid in digestion.
4. Another lunch option is pho, Vietnamese rice noodles with broth and beef. It is a filling meal and will help to hydrate your body with nutrition, exfoliation and toxin-fighting spices.
5. Make yourself a Bloody Mary. Drinking more alcohol may sound like the worst thing you can do, but may actually help you get over that hangover quicker. A breakfast cocktail is a great option if food consumption is totally out of the question.
6. Drink a smoothie. “Antioxidants. Potassium. Natural sugars. Vitamins. Digestive enzymes. These are things that actually really help heal a hangover. Get thee to a green smoothie. It has to be made fresh though, not one of those plastic bottles of green stuff next to juice in the grocery store.”
7. No matter what time of day it is, tea is a good idea. One option is ginger tea which helps to reduce nausea and calm your system. Ginger isn’t for you? Try some plain tea with honey. Honey is a great antioxidant loaded with fructose and glucose.
8. Take a handful of omega 3s vitamins. “Alcohol causes inflammation (which is at the root of most health problems), and omegas are proven to fight that inflammation a serious way. They will also help combat some of the unpleasant side effects of alcohol on your face, like dry, aggro, blotchy skin.”
So grab some beers and have some fun. And if you happen to wake up with a hangover, remember to follow these tips.